Friday, April 23, 2010

Not Funny, Annoying.?















Sorry for the lack of updates. I've been out in the woods killing orcs, leveling up, completing quests and getting phat lootz. When I was not doing those things I just mentioned I was writing. Yes. Writing.

My ongoing story deals with some heavy issues. But I don't want my story to be classified as a "dark" work, I want it to have peeks and valleys. It's easier to create a piece of dark fiction, as humans we know negative emotions and situations seemingly better than positive ones. One of my big issues with the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica series was that is didn't come up for air enough, it rarely showed anything positive that was coming out of their desperate situation. That got annoying, made me sad and I often cried about it (not really). While I did not like the ending of the show all that much, it was fairly balanced and did not want to make me shoot myself in the face like say, any given episode of any HBO original series (including their comedies).

So this brings me to my point. I want my story to have levity in it as one of the "lighter" elements but I'm not all the great at writing humor. It's a bad idea to add a character for the sole purpose of being "comedy" relief. As I'm a shut in and don't get out often I don't see a lot of movies, but I've heard that this has become an annoying part of a lot of recent movies (I heard the latest Transformers movie had a pair of annoying douchebag robots in it). In my writing there are some characters that are just not funny, but I try to use their super seriousness to create awkward (and humorous) situations. Some of my characters are just regular people, and regular people are funny from time to time, so I try to run with that. Comedy is it's own animal, one that I have not tamed (in writing, in real life I'm a totally funny) so when people who are not good at it do it, it's lame.

That's it...

No comments:

Post a Comment